HISTORY OF CUPAR FIRE STATION
Cupar Fire Station officially opened on Saturday 26th August 1978 by Mr Harry Ewing MP.
As early as 1880, Cupar had a volunteer Fire Brigade which was equipped with a barrow containing water buckets and hose. This volunteer Fire Brigade existed for a number of years and did some sterling work for the County.
Cupar received their first steam pumping engine in 1916 and had a part-time crew who were paid 1/6d when they answered a fire call, and in an effort to speed up attendance, the first man at the Engine House received 2/6d.
With the introduction of petrol engine, fire engines were further modernised and Cupar received their first petrol driven fire engine, equipped with pneumatic tyres in 1929.
This arrangement was in existence until the 2nd World War when Cupar was absorbed into the National Fire Service, a situation which was to continue until 1947, when Fire Brigades were returned to Local Authorities’ control and Fife Fire Brigade was born, under the control, of the Fife Fire Area Joint Committee on regionalisation.