Problems with neighbours

Antisocial Behaviour

If you are having problems with your neighbours or suffering from antisocial behaviour you can report it to us online, by phone or at your local council office.


What is antisocial behaviour?

Antisocial behaviour means behaving in a way which causes, or is likely to cause, alarm and distress to the community. It can include:

  • Abuse
  • Drug dealing
  • Vandalism and graffiti
  • Noise disturbances (loud music, noisy parties, shouting, etc)
  • Threatening or violent behaviour

Antisocial behaviour is not always a crime but incidents of violence, suspected drug dealing, and hate crime should always be reported to the Police.


What isn't antisocial behaviour?

Although annoying, some behaviour is not classed as antisocial so we are unable to assist with things like:

  • Children playing in the street or communal areas
  • Young people gathering socially
  • Being unable to park outside your own home
  • DIY and car repairs
  • Civil disputes between neighbours such as fence boundaries


What can I do?

If you have a problem with your neighbour we recommend that you try to discuss matters with them in the first instance. If you are unsure about approaching your neighbour Fife Community Mediation Service (External Site) can provide a free confidential service to help you do this.  They will:

  • act independantly
  • listen to you and your neighbour
  • help find common ground
  • try to find a soloution


If mediation doesn’t work or if you don't think it's appropriate you can report your problem to us online. We monitor this form during office hours: Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm.


You can also contact your local council office and give them details of the problems you are experiencing.  It would be helpful to know:

  • your name, address and phone number
  • where the problem is happening
  • the name of the person causing the problem and whether the person is a Council tenant or not
  • details of what is happening including dates and times. 


Any details you give us are kept private. Once you have made us aware of the problem we will get in touch to discuss how we can help resolve it. 


Antisocial behaviour happening right now? Then you should call the police on 101.

If someone’s life or health is in danger call 999.

For more information contact

Housing Information and Advice (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.)
Tel: 03451 55 00 33 Contact Housing Information and Advice (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.) online
By Post: New City House 1 Edgar Street Dunfermline Fife KY12 7EP
Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.