Fireworks registration


Licence summary

A person (or company) storing explosives, including fireworks, requires a registration or licence depending on the amount stored. For example, a registration is required if storing:

  • Up to 250 kg of Hazard Type 4
  • Up to 100 kg of a combination of Hazard Types 3 and 4
  • Up to 100 kg of Hazard Type 3 explosives

You may be exempt if you store:

  • A relatively small amount of explosives (e.g. 10 kg)
  • For a short period of time (e.g. 24 hours)
  • Hazard Type 1 explosives (e.g. les than 7 kg)

If storing larger quantities of fireworks (e.g. 250 kg - <2000 kg net mass of Hazard Type 4), you will need to licence the store.

Important notes

There are restrictions on the dates when fireworks can be sold:

  • 15 October to 10 November.
  • 26 December to 31 December.
  • On the 1st day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding it.
  • On the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it.

If you are planning to sell fireworks outside these periods of the year, you may also need a Licence under the Fireworks Regulations 2004.

You will also need to complete an application for Dispensation on the Prohibition of use of Fireworks during Night Hours if you are planning a late night display or celebration.

"Please notethe onus to renew any existing registration or licence before it expires is the responsibility of the person who submitted the original application for a registration or licence.

No reminder letter to renew a registration or licence will be issued by Fife Council." 


Eligibility Criteria

Restrictions on sales

It is an offence:

  • To store fireworks on unregistered premises. Only persons with fixed premises can be registered.  Fireworks cannot be sold at market stalls, car boot sales or other temporary sales points.
  • To sell fireworks to a person under 18 years of age. The maximum penalty for selling fireworks to anyone under age is a £5,000 fine.
  • To sell caps, cracker snaps, novelty matches, party poppers, serpents and throw-downs to a person under 16.

The following fireworks must not be supplied to the general public:

  • Air bombs, aerial shells, aerial maroons, shell-in-mortar and maroons-in-mortar.
  • All bangers including "batteries" containing bangers, such as chinese crackers.
  • Mini rockets.
  • Fireworks with erratic flight e.g. ground spinners, jumping jacks, squibs.
  • All Category 4 fireworks or any other firework which does not meet BS 7114 or EU equivalent.

Fireworks Regulations 2004

The regulations state suppliers of fireworks to the public must display in a prominent position an A3 sized notice stating:

"It is illegal:

to sell adult fireworks or sparklers to anyone under the age of 18.

for anyone under the age of 18 to possess fireworks in a public place".

Regulation Summary

The Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regs 2005

The Fireworks (Scotland) Regulations 2004

Application Evaluation Process

It is your responsibility to ensure you are aware of and complying with the regulations covering the storage of explosives.

The licensing authority will not normally visit your premises before granting a registration. The authority may prohibit storage of explosives at the site if it believes the site is unsafe. It may also take enforcement action if you are not storing safely.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it.


Download an Application form for a Registration/Licence.

Download an Application for a Dispensation on the Prohibition of use of Fireworks during Night Hours.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer helpline will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Other Redress



For more information contact

Safety Licences (EP & Protective Services)
Tel: 01592 583141 Contact Safety Licences (EP & Protective Services) online
By Post: Kingdom House Kingdom Avenue Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LY

Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.